Friday 16 May 2014

Succulent Plants


Thomas and I bought house plants together for our three year anniversary; some people get a pet or take a long romantic weekend away but we picked up some succulents instead.



This is Francis and Benedict; I name my plants, makes things easier. Francis was difficult to identify but according to Reddit's plant community we worked out he's a very small Opuntia Monacantha, otherwise known as a Prickly Pear. Benedict is part of the Echeveria family I believe...



Succulents are relatively easy to look after once you understand how they work. All you need is the right size pot, soil with the correct pH balance and grit content, a pebble bed if the pot lacks drainage and a spot in the home that sees a lot of daylight throughout the day.



Watering them is simple, in spring and summer watering should be done more frequently, when the soil is entirely dried out drench the soil (try not to over water as it can rot the roots); this will allow them to grow as much as possible before hopefully blooming. In autumn and winter the plant goes into hibernation and rarely requires watering as they do not tend to grow during these seasons.



I'm hoping this summer I'll see my little guys bloom. You can find succulents in most garden stores or even online. Decorating their beds with pebbles or making a potted arrangement of different kinds can produce beautiful results. You can have them outdoors too but where I live isn't the ideal climate for them.

Thank you for reading, I'll be posting updates, should I spot any flowering.

Devon x

No comments:

Post a Comment