Wednesday 11 June 2014

Pretty Books


I'm a bit shallow when it comes to book covers, I would buy all the pretty books if I had infinite funds; they would make the world's most attractive bookcase and I would sit smugly under it drinking fancy tea and thinking about how pretentious I have become in my old age. Of course a beautiful book is always best when it is a gift, which these are; Thomas has bought me them over the years. Some were Christmas presents and some he got me because I kept seeking them out in Waterstones.



I got this in the summer, Thomas wrote a message in the back because he's soppy and adorable. I have mixed feelings about The Hobbit and I don't think I'll get round to reading more Tolkien.

The Wizard of Oz was my favourite childhood book, I had an illustrated 
copy that I still cherish. This copy is the Penguin Threads edition and also includes The Emerald City of Oz and Glinda of Oz. Did I mention that the cover actually feels embroidered and the inside has the back of the threads? The pages are also uncut.





I think Yeats is probably my favourite poet and this is a fantastic collection of his life's work. I remember wanting this edition for a long time and then one Christmas I finally got it.






I never read To Kill A Mockingbird at school and I'm glad we didn't it would have ruined it for me. This is the 50th anniversary edition and it's just beautiful. My local Waterstones had a copy of it with a damaged back for months and then they didn't seem to be getting any more and I thought I'd missed my chance but then Thomas had been watching out for it online the whole time and surprised me with it, the secretive bastard (I hate surprises).

Thank you for reading, hopefully I'll procure more attractive books in the future.

Devon x

No comments:

Post a Comment